Sunday, January 5, 2014

Random Prose: Wake Up

                                                                               THUMPthumpTHUMPthumpTHUMPthumpTHUMPthumpTHUMPthumpTHUMPthumpTHUMPthumpTHUMPthump…I’m not sure which is louder; the beating of my heart or the sound of my feet crunching on the fallen leaves and branches beneath me. Running blindly through the woods in my backyard I silently cursed myself for buying a house out in the country side.
                No time to put myself down. I heard the sounds of many more feet chasing through the woods behind me. Should I try to find a bush or abandoned building to hide behind? I’m not even sure how far it is to reach anything like that or any type of civilization. I could be running all night and still not get anywhere.
                “You can’t run forever, Sweetheart. You might as well just give up now” called out an unfamiliar voice.
                “Come on now, baby. We promise not to hurt you too bad when we are through with you” yelled out another.
                Fuck! Now these assholes are taunting me. Thank goodness I have been training for a 5k run otherwise I would be out of luck right about now.
                My fingers, toes, and face are frozen from the cold night air. If it wasn’t for my internal body temperature maintaining its 98.6 degrees I’m pretty sure the air in my lungs would be frozen too. I’m tired. I want to stop running but I know that I cannot.
                Tonight’s events flood my mind: the banging on my front door, me calling 911, the men kicking my front door down just as I escape out the back patio doors, running into the woods, twisting and turning trying to lose them without giving them an edge to catch me. Who are these people? I don’t even know what they want. But whatever it is, I know that it’s nothing that I want to give to them.
                All of a sudden I see a light ahead of me. I get a second burst of speed and push myself to run faster than ever towards it. It hurts to breathe but I can’t worry about that right now. I’m almost free. There will be somebody there that can help me, I tell myself.
                OUCH! Somebody has me by the back of my neck right now. I’m flung face-first into the ground. I groan as I curl into fetal position and beg for the men to please not hurt me in between tears of terror.
                “Cheer up sweet tits. I can’t promise you that, but I can promise you that once we’re done with you, you’ll never forget us” One voice says.
                I close my eyes tightly and prepare for the worse. I almost wish I were dead. Then I remember that no matter what happens to me I can’t die. I still have a family to live for, a lover to live for, and myself to live for.

                “Hey, wake up baby!” one says, kicking my hands which are covering my face with his steel toe boots. I scream. I can hear my bones breaking but it’s so cold that I can’t feel the pain. I slowly lose consciousness to the sounds of several voices debating who will go first and belt buckles being undone. God help me, I think to myself as I take my last conscious breath. After that, I don’t remember what happened…

~Tea 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spill it here...