Tuesday, January 7, 2014

On a personal note, it's my anniversary!



            “A year ago, would you have ever thought that you and V would be here? Both graduated from college, living on your own, you working full time and her full time in professional school; I’m really proud of you, of both of you.”
            Talking to my mom yesterday and hearing her say those words when I told her that today was my 1 year anniversary with my girlfriend meant the world to me. I have always wanted to make my parents proud. I want them to be proud of not only who they have raised me to be, but the decisions I make with my life as well. While I know they may not have always been proud of all of my decisions in life, I’m blessed beyond words that they are proud and supportive in my decision to share my life with my wonderful girlfriend.
            They see what I see in her, a beautiful soul with an equally beautiful exterior. She is smart, funny, witty, passionate, creative, supportive, trusting, spiritual, driven, compassionate, and an all around good human being. She makes being in a relationship easy. I live 10 hours away from a good majority (95%) of my blood related family and yet I always feel at home with her. Even when we spend time with her parents, I still feel like I’m at home.
            It’s the way she looks at me with her bright, almond shaped eyes, shielded by her Ray Ban prescription glasses and the deepest, prettiest mahogany hue that captures my spirit. It’s the way that she touches me, so warm, soft, and lovingly, yet firm when she knows I just need to be held a little tighter that makes me melt in her arms. It’s the way that despite our differences, we always support each other no matter what (even if it means me, a die-hard Cowboys fan, wanting her silly Redskins to win so I can see her happy) that makes us work.
            Being with her has taught me that relationships don’t have to be tough. Relationships don’t have to be hard work. We both sacrifice for each other and we do so willingly. Each others happiness means equally as much to us as does our own. In the beginning we used to get into little arguments because I just wanted to do whatever made her happy and she wanted to do whatever made me happy so we could never decide on what to do or where to go. Now I can just look back on that and laugh.
            A year later, it’s almost like we can anticipate what the other person wants or needs. If she sees me sniffling she will get me vitamins and make me hot tea with honey to combat any sickness that is trying to come over me. If I see that she has had a long day at school, I make her lay on the couch and I cater to her every want and need. It doesn’t matter if I had a long day at work also, or if she is feeling a bit under the weather herself, we both want for the other person to be taken care of and happy. Sometimes that means taking care of the other person when you don’t feel 100% great yourself but we do it because we love each other.
            I feel like this past year has all just been such a whirlwind of excitement, and firsts, and progress, and growth, and maturity for both of us. We tried to keep a list of all of my firsts with her (going on a cruise, eating various types of sea food, going to her Alma matter, etc.) but it got too complicated after a while. Truth is there’s always going to be firsts in our lives; hell it’s our first anniversary today. But what matters more than saying “this was the first time” is the fact that I got to do all of these things with her. I can’t wait to see what new things we do in this coming year. As long as I have her by my side, I know I’m ready for anything.
~Tea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spill it here...