Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sunday Scribbles: A Winter Nightmare


** This was written either my freshman or sophomore year of college. I believe the prompt was to write a brief scenario about waking up and being cold and finding out that there is no heat. Enjoy! **




Waking up was nearly impossible. My Eyelashes were dusted with individual icicles, my breath frozen in my lungs, and my blood chilled in my veins. I struggled to sit up. I attempted to open my car door and it wouldn’t move. Apparently the temperature had dropped so drastically after the storm last night that my car had frozen solid. Shivering did no good. A cold body trapped in a makeshift igloo, moving swiftly in the freezing air was a fail. I brought my knees to my chest under my shirt and hugged them with my arms that were awaiting them, hoping this might help me preserve any body heat I had left. I covered myself with my jacket, which felt more like a blanket of snow. Even my nose hairs had ice on them. I closed my eyes and imagined this must be how Eskimos who went streaking felt.

My internal body temperature was still around ice cube status. I closed my eyes and waited for the sun to rise and hopefully thaw out my day. Until then I sat in fetal position trying not to fall back asleep for fear of my life freezing away on this harsh February morning.

**Sorry so short, the prompt was to be brief and we only had 15 minutes or so. Everybody reading from the Northeast stay warm!  These snow storms are no joke. Don't forget about my Poetry Challenge . Let me know if you're joining along. Talk to y'all real soon :) **

~Tea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spill it here...